The rest of this week has been devoted to finishing off this piece of art, because it has taken far longer than expected.
This week has been a busy one, as I have spent the time doing everything that I can to get this bar art finished. Last time I wrote, I talked about the process of shading two of the characters. Over the last few days, I have used the same techniques to finish off the shading on all of the characters. I then got to working out how the light from the bright purple fairy lights would bounce off the characters. I tried to think as technically as possible about how this lighting would effect this, and I ended up experimenting with it to make art that looks as charming as possible.
For the lighting effect itself, I used the same bright purple from the fairy lights, and used the marker tool to lightly sketch it in. I then used the mix brush tool/blur tool to make it hazy. I then experimented with luminosity layers, and decided that for the lights bouncing off darker colours, the luminosity layers looked good. For the light bouncing off lighter colours, I kept the luminosity layers off and instead drew the purple light on a normal layer. After all that, I used the lineart tool with white paint to scribble some extra light parts into the purple, to give it a more realistic looking light.
I then decided to work on the background, because only after Matt brought it up did I realise that it does actually look quite bare. Matt suggested putting some bar stuff behind the bar, and to look for stuff that would usually be behind a bar to put in there. Since most bars contain alcohol, I decided that some harmless looking shelves with bottles on would probably suffice. I scoured the internet for some fitting reference images, then photobashed it in. This was mostly just me picking colours from the bar, then scribbling over in areas that I saw fit.
By this point, I was happy that this was finished, because the bar shelves really brought the scene together. I asked Ebonny what she thought about how it looked, and asked if there was anything that she wanted me to change about it, and she said that it might look better if I changed the colour of the walls to the same purple as the characters’ blazers, so I quickly made the changes and sent it back. Ebonny is happy with how this looks now, and I am very happy with how this worked out, so I am calling this complete. Here is the final product!
I am super happy with how this looks now! I think that given a month ago, I didn’t know half of the techniques used to make this, I have done pretty well. I did plan to have this done way faster, but with having to learn so many new techniques for this, I really can’t be too mad that it took as long as it did. I am happy with the final product, so I cannot complain. I am hoping that the other art won’t take me as long, since I now shouldn’t have to learn as much new stuff for it. My plan is to move onto the fountain art next, since that one shouldn’t take too long to do. My overall plan is to try and get at least one good piece of art for each location that I have, and that once I have done that, I will prioritise making the second piece of art for the Casino, since that is my one, highly important location to do.
This evening, we had our first of many, Friday evening scrum call. Most members were present, and anyone who couldn’t make the call just sent messages later that evening to catch the rest of us up. I think that the call went well, we all talked about how things were going, and it didn’t feel too different to the scrum meetings that we usually have at college. We planned our next call to be on Monday so that we don’t fall out of habit. The group progress seems to be going well, I am happy with how everyone is communicating, and everyone seems to be keeping time well. We are on track with our burndown chart as of the start of this week, so I am not too worried about the idea of us falling behind!