Kitsune: Work in progress

16/11/2016

Today I am working on my Kitsune final design. I have decided to base the colours on traditional depictions of the Kitsune, and I have also decided that the red markings will be inspired by traditional Kabuki masks. My design and how the robot works is heavily inspired by the legend of the Kitsune. My robot is a fire breathing fox that can manipulate space. It’s power comes from it’s tails, and if it loses a tail, it becomes less powerful. It has 9 tails, which it protects with metal plates which rotate around the wires. With maximum power, it can manipulate space and warp small distances.

To make my Kitsune, I first sketched an initial design on paper. The first thing I did was draw akitsune Kitsune that was inspired by a traditional depiction. Then, I changed my sketch to make it look more robotic, by giving it metal plates, and wires for tails, and then added basic shading to get a basic idea of where light and dark colours needed to be.

 

 

Then, I took a picture and played around with the quality to make the lines more defined. I then opened this picture in Photoshop, and started to make the digital drawing. My first step here was to draw the basic outlines on a new layer. I made the outlines of the plates and the tails. Next, I made a new layer, and painted the plate colours with a whitish-creamy colour, which reflects traditional Kitsune colours, and then neatened it up with the eraser so that it was within the outlines. I then painted on the red and black details on two other separate layers to make it easier to tidy up.

The next step was the wires. This was definitely the hardest part, because it took the most time to do. I got an image of some wires, and I tidied it up so that there was no white edges. I then duplicated the same layer and kept resizing and merging layers to create theprogress tails. I rescaled the wire, accommodated as much of the tail as I could, then I merged together all layers that made up each tail, so that in the end I had 9 tails as 9 layers. I also put wires in between the metal body plates so that it would look more believable. I then brought the opacity down on all of them to 74% so that the colour wouldn’t be in your face and bright.

Then, my last step was to make the ‘wirepaint’ layer, where I used the brush tool to paint over the wires to make the tails more defined and together. I brought the opacity down to 91% so that you would still be able to see the wire pattern underneath, and then I painted in the outlines for the tails and the main body so that they weren’t as prominent and all looked toned down, because the focus colour is supposed to be the white plates.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s