Back in March, I designed a character named Mercy. At the time I loved her design, but I wasn’t confidant enough to post anything for her on my blog. Recently however, I decided to give her a redesign, because I need to evolve my art and make more unique stuff for my portfolio, and I felt like my old art for her just didn’t do her justice. So, meet Mercy.
Mercy is a performing sorceress / fire eater who got scorched by her own flames during a performance, hence the burn marks on her body. Her anatomy needed fixing because on the old art it just looked proportionally wrong, however I feel like it looks much better here. I changed a tonne of things for her outfit and appearance, because her old design was heavily influenced by her entertainer background as a performing dancer, however I decided that she needed to look more like the sorceress she is, so I gave her robes with warm tones inspired by flames, and shorts and gloves with coal grey tones. I wanted to give her plenty of jewellery because I felt like it tied into the chaotic sorceress look. I stuck with my scribbly messy lines because this is a style I like a lot, and I used a similar background technique to Yumea’s redesign because I really like that Breath of the Wild concept look, except this time I tried to make Mercy’s background look like flames to add more of her personality. The burn marks are now vastly improved too, because I had accessibility to custom brushed, so I used this brush with a darker tone than her skin to make her burns look more like burns and less like purple blobs.
Overall, I am very happy with this character redesign. I am glad that I held off posting about this character previously because the old art was abysmal compared to this, however a part of me wished I had so that her evolution could have been seen the whole way. Never the less, she is on my blog now so she finally made it! Her design has come a super long way and I’m genuinely proud of how far my art has come in just half a year!