After finishing making the Lilith model, I was planning on getting Lilith rigged so that the model could be saved as another file, changed into Zach to save time, however, due to this week being tricky and not having a good opportunity to rig, I decided to make Zach before getting the rigging sorted so that I would at least have another thing checked off the asset list.
The first thing that I did was changing what used to be boots into leg armour. This was quite tricky, because I wanted to keep the character constructed with the same edges for knee and groin joints as Lilith’s model so that the rig could be duplicated and transferred. I first got rid of the miscellaneous straps that Lilith wears around her boots by deleting the faces, then using the append to polygon tool to fix the holes in the model. Once the straps were gone, I then shaped the vertices around at the top of the boots into the shape of Zach’s armour. I then made sure the armour was only on one side (for the sake of character accuracy) by deleting faces and then using the append to polygon tool to once again fill in the gaps. The last things that I did was to extrude small faces out of the bottom of the armour to make the small detailed parts of his armour that curve around his boots!
The next things to make was Zach’s half plate! The first step was shaping his shirt to look more Zach and less Lilith. Lilith has a corset over her shirt, so I deleted the edges that make it stick out, and used the target weld tool to merge the vertices that were once sticking out. Then, because Zach’s shirt is a little open at the bottom, I extruded parts out of the bottom to make it look more Zach. Once I was happy with the shirt, I then got to work on the half plate! I made this by making a pipe polygon, deleting half of the faces, appending missing polygons, then using the scale tool to fit the shape to Zach’s torso. I then just moved vertices to make it into the shape of the breastplate part of his half plate. Next, I make a cube polygon, then extruded some parts to make sure that there would be enough vertices to shape it symmetrically. Then, I just moved vertices around to try and get the signature triangular shape of Zach’s armour. After making this one, I just duplicated it until there was a total of 3 of those parts, then scaled each one down and layered them on top of each other until it looked right!
This part, I was dreading. Zach has serious protagonist hair, and I wasn’t particularly sure where to start modelling it! I kept Lilith’s hair, then deleted some of the edges of the quiff, then moved down the remaining vertices so that the top of his hair looks normal again. I then decided to go crazy with extruding faces then using edgeloops to better shape them into the messy strands of hair. Currently, I have strongly mixed feelings about Zach’s hair, because the front looks almost identical to how Zach’s hair does in our concept art for him, however Ebonny never decided how the back of his head looks, so I took a stab in the dark and decided to go on a wild extrusion adventure, and accidentally turned him into Sonic the Hedge-Zach. Even though I absolutely adore the idea of leaving his hair like Sonic’s, Zach is Ebonny’s character and needs to be respected, so tomorrow I will change this and make it less crazy at the back.
Overall, I am so happy with the progress that has been made on Zach so far. This was all done over the past 2 days, and to have made one character this fast is blowing my mind. Obviously parts still need making better, the back of the hair desperately needs to be changed, and if we are to be pedantic, some edges could be bevelled or smoothed, but overall I am happy with how he looks, and honestly would be happy to get him rigged and animate him right away (providing I get a change to fix the hair first…).